Differences between React?

I was looking for a WebGL-React-like renderer and I found LightningJS which is an extremely cool project so kudos to the team.

My research lead me to find that there are recoincilers for React that support WebGL instead of DOM such as React Three Fiber (GitHub - pmndrs/react-three-fiber: 🇨🇭 A React renderer for Three.js), which targets WebGL via Three.js and React Pixi (GitHub - inlet/react-pixi: Write PIXI apps using React declarative style) which does the same via PixiJS.

The approach of going to React seems that you’re getting all the React goodies for free, such as the reconciliation engine and also the new updates with concurrent-mode where you get cool concurrency and scheduling features for free. (Check this thread on how concurrent mode can help on low-end devices: https://twitter.com/0xca0a/status/1199997552466288641?lang=en)

My question would be: what are the differences between LightningJS and something like React Three Fiber?

Hello @lmatteis ,

Personally I never worked with React Three Fiber. The reason why most people use LightningJs is for its main focus on tv and tv devices.
Here’s some features that makes it great for tv development:

• A cross WebGL based framework which works on most browsers and optimized for big screen devices.
  • Great performance, also on low end set-top boxes.
  • Fast rendering and loading.
  • Efficient memory management
  • Advanced garbage collection mechanism.

I like working with it because there’s a lot I don’t need to manage (ex.: memory). However, there’s still some downsides like the documentation is not ready and it’s all over the place. At some point I was trying to render rounded corners on an image and I found the solution in a closed issue on their github. The property that fixed my issue is nowhere in the documentation.

But like everything, you must see if the tech gives you more upsides than downsides for your project.